Remington Town Council Meeting
Date: July 5, 2016
Time: 6:30 p.m.
Place: Remington Town Hall, 24 South Indiana St.
Susan Sigo, Jim Stewart, Charles Illingworth, Pat Berger, Bob Braaksma.
Mark Jones, Luke Neidlinger, Mike Martin, Zach Lanning, Jonathan Cripe, Jacob Taulman, John Schuetzenhofer, Chris Cain, Terri Budde, Sara DeYoung, Catlin Sicvers.
Susan Sigo opened the meeting with Pledge of Allegiance.
Motion for minutes on the June 6, 2016 Council Meeting. Jim Stewart made motion to approve minutes. Charles Illingworth second his motion. Motion carried.
Mark Jones reported the following:
1) Ryan is off on vacation so no report.
Mark Jones reported the following:
1) Last week he was on vacation.
2) Contractors broke water main and got to see how fast Remington can fix them.
3) CCR reports have been mailed out.
4) With the bad storm that came in they all worked together to get everything cleaned up.
Luke Neidlinger reported the following:
1) Wanted to thank everyone for helping clean the streets after the storm.
2) Catch basin by the pallet factory has a cap not a line to it. The pallet factory has Rotor Rooter come out to clean from time to time.
3) Mosquito fogger is up and ready to go.
4) Chris Culp donated some asphalt to the town, so they have been filling as many holes that they can.
5) Jim Stewart questioned about the speed signs again. Luke stated that they are working on it.
Mike Martin presented fire report to the council. A copy of this report is on file in the Clerk-Treasurer's office. Mike stated that they have had a normal month. They have been called to accidents on I-65 because of the construction. They had the fire trucks inspected and certified.
John Schuetzenhofer presented police report to the council. A copy of this report is on file in the Clerk-Treasurer's office. John stated that Chris Cain has graduated SWAT class. Council asked Chris what all he learned in school. Chris stated that they piled on a lot of information they needed to remember and mess with patrolling.
John Schuetzenhofer stated that the laws have changed in regards to the body cameras. John stated that the town needs to look into having an ordinance that has a fee for copy of footage, he believes they can charge up to $150. Jacob Taulman stated that he will review guidelines for ordinance.
John Schuetzenhofer asked in regards to the business across Hwy 24 from Dollar General. He stated that it is zoned for business but someone is living there. John said that in one room they have a bed, TV and a toilet, no shower. The department has been having complaints with them and wanted to know if it is legal for someone to live in there with it zoned as business. Jacob Taulman said that he will review zoning with Jonathan Cripe and will let him know.
Susan Sigo introduced Terri Budde as the replacement for Athena Dickinson. Terri will be the new Clerk Treasurer July 16, 2016. Susan Sigo also stated about the Executive Session that will be taking place after the meeting and invited Terri to sit in on it.
Jim Stewart stated that he is proud to be a Torchbearer for the Bicentennial Torch Relay. He wanted to thank Jonathan Cripe for the nomination to give him this honor, and he is very excited.
Jonathan Cripe presented the following:
1) Jonathan Cripe presented an invoice from The Wolcott Enterprise for $80. This invoice is from the Water Tower Day Festival garage sale advertisement. Requesting that the town helps and pays for this advertising as well. Jim Stewart made motion to pay invoice for advertising. Charles Illingworth second his motion. Motion carried.
2) Jonathan stated that he had sent out an email in regards to the Industrial Pallet's request about adding a protection system on the north side of the facility. The system is a beam that the workers are able to tie off on in case they fall. The reason for the request is because the system will be on the town's easement. Charles Illingworth asked if they put the system in would the town be liable if there was an accident with it being on town's easement. Jacob Taulman stated that there would be no liability on the town. Charles Illingworth made motion to allow protection system to build. Bob Braaksma seconding his motion. Motion carried.
3) Jonathan Cripe stated that his is a third done with his management classes and feels that they have helped. Thursday he will be going to a Flood Plane class, it has been a while when he last went to one.
4) Jonathan stated that the county is still looking for someone to take over the Recycling Center. He stated that if no one takes it over soon and people don't stop putting trash in there that we could lose it.
Attorney Jacob Taulman stated that he has some documents to go over with Jonathan Cripe and now with this meeting he has several things to work on.
Sara DeYoung stated that there was not going to be a RWCDC meeting for July. She is having a baby at the end of July and will not be at the town meeting in August.
Sara said that they are still looking at putting something together to get more businesses in town. Might do a meet and greet of small business so the community knows what all the small businesses have to offer.
Medical Facility is now open and doing well. It opened June 15, 2016.
None to discuss.
Susan Sigo presented Randy Rowland's letter of resignation from the Park Board. Bob Braaksma made motion to accept resignation of Randy Rowland. Jim Stewart seconding his motion. Motion carried.
Susan Sigo presented nomination to put Rudy Taulman on the Park Board lieu of Randy Rowland. Jim Stewart made motion to accept nomination with Pat Berger seconding his motion. Motion carried.
Susan Sigo presented the approval letter from the Remington Plan Commission in regards to rezone for Clark's Cutting Edge from Residential to Business. Jim Stewart made motion to accept letter and rezone area from Residential to Business, and Bob Braaksma seconding his motion. Motion carried.
Clerk-Treasurer, Athena Dickinson presented May's Financial Statement. Pat Berger made motion to approve financial statement, with Jim Stewart seconding her motion. Motion carried.
Athena Dickinson presented Resolution 2016-07-05 Transfer of Funds. Bob Braaksma made motion to accept Resolution 2016-07-05 Transfer of Funds. Charles Illingworth seconding his motion. Motion carried.
Athena presented Amendment of Salary Ordinance for Wastewater Supt, Wastewater Operator will not be back because of medical leave. Jim Stewart made motion to accept amendment, with Pat Berger seconding his motion. Motion carried.
Claims were approved for payment on a motion by Jim Stewart, Charles Illingworth seconding his motion. Motion carried.
None to discuss.
There being no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned.