Built in 1897 by the Challenge Wind & Feed Mill Company of Batavia, Illinois, this rare tower and wood tank construction is an original example of 19th century public water utility facility, construction methods and technology. The tower has a limestone foundation, is 104 ft tall and approximately 20 feet in diameter, with 2 foot thick brick walls. The tower was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
In 2006, the tank roof was replaced following the spring hail storm. In 2007, restoration work was done tuckpointing and resealing the entire tower. About 450 bricks were replaced in the tower with bricks that were salvaged from another early-era building from town. The town repainted the tower windows as well.
The old water tower was in use until 1983 when it no longer met state requirements. A new steel water tower was constructed. The Remington water tower is unusual in that it was in use for 87 years, from 1897-1983. It is the only brick water tower with a wood tank remaining in Indiana. It held 66,500 gallons of water, but is now partially filled with gravel to maintain balance and stability in high winds.